01 March 2009

the sunday superlative - 3/1/09

This Week: Good Songs by Terrible Bands: 2000s FM Rock Edition



I suppose this entry could also easily be subtitled Guilty Pleasures, because it's true: I like these songs quite a bit, but if you listen closely you can hear a small part of me die every time I admit it. The truth stands, though. I, the snotty and fairly unflappable indie kid, also occasionally listen to the radio, and sometimes I even enjoy it. Most of the time I'm appalled by the collective taste of contemporary mainstream America, but from time to time even the most appalling of bands manages to get it right.

So that's tonight's showcase. I'm sure you've heard of all three of these bands. They share two things in common: (1) they're all pretty huge right now; (2) they're uniformly terrible. I would never, ever purchase an album by any of these guys. The point I'm making, though, is that talent (or perhaps luck) can be found in even the most unlikely places. All three of these songs are quite good. I'd never condone listening to the remainder of their output, but even I must admit to sneaking a bite or two of these songs every once in a while.

Fall Out Boy - "Thanks for the Memories" (mp3|6.03MB)
Ever since I discovered and fell head over heels in love with Brand New (whose indescribably fantastic The Devil and God... I practically have memorized by now), I have a hard time discounting the entire musical umbrella known unfavorably as "emo." But let's face it: the vast, vast majority of it really sucks a big one. No "emo" band has enjoyed the same degree of mainstream success as Fall Out Boy, and I guess one could reasonably argue that none are as deserving (since they're all offensively generic enough as to be interchangable). But ugh, I can't stand them. These guys were the shit in high school, and I guess they continue to be. I don't care for their image, I don't like their obviously put-on emotional turmoil, I don't think Pete Wentz is omg hott, and my hair reflexively stands on end every time I hear their music. And that's why I perhaps unfairly regard the catchy and unmistakably homoerotic "Thanks for the Memories" as something of a fluke. It's a well-written song and I enjoy it more than I care to admit, but I'm just left with that nagging feeling that even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.
(from the 2007 album Infinity on High)

Maroon 5 - "Makes Me Wonder" (mp3|4.83MB)
My apologies in advance, but whenever I think of the singer of Maroon 5, I think of Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight: "What happened? Jer balls drop off?!" The man is one hormone injection away from sounding like Sheryl Crow. But in 2007, against all odds, he and his band miraculously managed to turn this into a good thing for three and a half minutes and deliver "Makes Me Wonder," which may well have been my favorite mainstream track of that particular year. I don't know what magic drug these guys took, but they embody that cocky white-boy funk thing so perfectly that Justin Timberlake might as well just throw away the latter half of his career (he can start by throwing away the first half, too). This is a frightening song. Absolutely terrifying. It has no right to be this damn good. But it's really, really quality.
(from the retardedly titled 2007 album It Won't Be Soon Before Long)

3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite" (mp3|5.37MB)
I remember when this song came out. I was in 6th grade. I even liked it then. This either means my taste hasn't improved, or this song is actually pretty good. Despite the answer I would lean towards, the band apparently favors the latter option, since they've spent the past decade trying -- and failing -- to rewrite it. Really, they should've just broken up. All of their songs sound exactly the same, like a second-rate 3 Doors Down tribute band (jesus god almighty) trying to one-up the only good song they ever had. Trust me, that's not a good place to be. But hey, at least this "Kryptonite" ditty is pretty good. I mean, it's not like "Stairway to Heaven" or anything, but in a loud mindless alt-rock sort of way, I find it pretty satisfying.
(from the 2000 album The Better Life)

Catch you folks later!

No comments: