27 March 2009

friday five - 27.03.09 - drugs!

I've come to a realisation within the past couple of weeks. That realisation is this: If I don't update, people will beat me.

Since teachers, employers, and customers are forbidden by law to beat someone if they are lax in their services, I feel somehow more obligated to procure this rather abrupt yet hopefully mildly satisfying music post out of the ether and into your outstretched hands.

Why?

Because if I don't, people will beat me.

So, without further ado, I give you: drugs!1 Well, not real ones. But close enough, right? I mean, you're only here because you're addicted, yeah? Good; my mind-controlling blog-waves are working!

Don't ask how they function, just read! Augh! You people!



Band of Horses - "Weed Party" (mp3|4.37MB): "Just another party song." Not really. The point here is - besides having a weed party - everything's going to be okay. Doesn't matter if the parents are there or if they find out. Just have your weed party. It's cool. And if it's not? Hey, look! Wine! Thank you, Band of Horses, for your support. The party will go on.
(from the 2006 album Everything All the Time)

High Places - "Head Spins (extended version)" (mp3|4.05MB): So, this is actually about love. It's nonsensical like love, and love makes you high, and speaking of love - oh, and by the way, dinosaurs and seagulls' wings. High Places presents to you exactly what my thought process looks like when I think about my relationships with others. (Before you say a word: I have a lot of friends. Facebook says so.)
(from the 2008 album 03/07 - 09/07)

Klaxons - "Gravity's Rainbow" (mp3|3.64MB): This one was obviously selected for a very different reason. A few of you (okay, one or two. maybe one.) might get this. This is why Klaxons is awesome. See, there's this book. We'll call it Literature McHuge-Big. Actually, we'll just call it Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. This guy stockpiled weed and potato chips and wrote a book. That's all you need to know, besides the fact that this book is fucking large. Anyway, there's this part in the book that references ejaculation and WWII bomb trajectories, right? Yes, well, there you go. This is a song about a part in a book about the comparison between ejaculate and a falling bomb. And now I really want some potato chips.
(from the 2007 album Myths of the Near Future)

Pink Floyd - "Any Colour You Like" (mp3|4.71MB): You probably knew I was going to throw some Floyd in here. Oddly, it wasn't "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict." (Although - nah, never mind.) This is just a super-chill instrumental track from Dark Side of the Moon that's - well. I mean, that sounds like it would be a great song to smo - er. You know. Do that thing. That thing you do. When you - aww, screw it.
(from the 1973 album Dark Side of the Moon)

Telepathe - "Drugged" (mp3|4.72MB): The thing about Telepathe is the fact that they have this awesome Au Revoir Simone/Switchblade Symphony girlbaby awesomeness going on. Couple that with lyrics like "I sit in the swirl" and "I watch the light" and - oh, did I mention the distorted electronics and trance vocals that still manage to combine into something vaguely industrial and dark? Yes please.
(from the 2009 album Dance Mother)

Okay, that's it. You kids clear out. Oh yeah, and watch where you st -

- eeugh. Never mind! Good night!


1Our Google statistics are about to skyrocket. Just you watch.


As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Darn straight. Beatings all around. We don't play nice either...