14 February 2009

friday five - 13/14.02.09 - happy love-or-whatever day

All right, let's get this out of the way first: I know I suck. It's okay, really. I've come to terms with this, and am currently seeking therapy for this very personal difficulty. Consider it, dear readers, a symptom of the fame and arrogance I've acquired over the past few months.

Hey! Why're you laughing?

In all seriousness, though, you've been jipped out of several Fridays' worth of music. I'm really sorry. You know what bites even more? I only have the typical five songs for you this week. I didn't include any bonuses. (Mainly because the internet I have has decided to take a few rides on the short bus.) But the selection I've chosen includes some really great stuff (see, there's that arrogance again), and hopefully quality will win over quantity. Because that decision is a lot easier to make when beer isn't involved.

Oh, yeah. It's St. Valentine's Day tomorrow today, dammit. So, uh, the theme is like, love-related. Or something. God, I can't wait for the post V-Day discount chocolates. HUZZAH. I'M GONNA EAT MYSELF SICK.





Cut/Copy - "Hearts on Fire" (mp3|4.46MB): Considering the fact that I recently saw the accompanying video to this lovely track (and was subsequently filled with glee), I had to post this. It's relevant! And it's sweet. Aw. Not to mention, of course, the unquestionable awesomeness of this band altogether (OH, by the way, I might see them in March; aren't you jealous). You know what? I could have put any Cut/Copy song here regardless of whether or not it had anything to do with love, and you wouldn't have cared one iota. Come on, admit it.

VHS or Beta - "Love in My Pocket" (mp3|2.95MB): We slowly begin the electronic fade out, moving from very heavy electronica influences to a subtler variety of this particular musical species by the notable VHS or Beta. The cheetah hunts for days, consumed with hunger. If she doesn't find suitable prey soon, she and her cubs will die. (Sorry, just noticed the similarity in expository structure.) Anyway, I was addicted to this album - Bring on the Comets, for anyone curious and unaware, yes, my minions, go forth - for a month straight in 2007, so now you have to suffer the consequences. Have fun.

White Whale - "I Love Lovely Chinese Gal" (mp3|4.10MB): There is absolutely no way, from here on out, that I can compensate for the intense nerdery that accompanies this posting. White Whale both excretes and absorbs coolness, sorta like osmosis in a cellular wall. I feel so cool for liking White Whale, but that coolness stems from a socially secluded kind of nerd-cool that only hardcore uncool people like me seem to appreciate. Anyway, have a song that sounds like it was recorded in a fish tank. The love abounds.

My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep" (mp3|1.67MB): Busy, slightly distorted, and highly rockin', My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is the perfect album to play on St. Valentine's Day - if only for this track, and if only for the opening lyric: "When I look at you / Oh, I don't know what I feel." You can apply that in so many different directions. I won't say what it means to me. Catch that on the next Maury.

The Cure - "Friday I'm in Love" (mp3|2.95MB): Awwwww. You guys know why I chose this one. It's Friday! (Or, it WAS Friday before I typed this. You're probably reading this on a Saturday. GUYS, I'M TRYING.) For all intents: Friday, I'm in love. With you! Not in the creepy way, but in the obsessive I-hope-it's-mutual and/or I-hope-they-don't-kill-me-in-my-sleep and/or I-hope-they-still-like-me sort of way. You know. Because I still have all of those weed emotions that grow in high school. And the Cure will always rock. And I'm an internet whore. And I stalk you. Okay, maybe this is the creepy kind of love. But you like it.

Anyway, that's it! EAT CANDY.

<3,
Lea (FFR, soon to be banish-ed from her own kingdom)


As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Since I just finished another season of Dr. Who I find myself very concerned about paradoxes. Then it occurred to me: you contribute to Would-Be Hipster and your blog is listed under "Actual Hipsters." Please accept my apologies if this causes a rift in the space time continuum.