24 September 2008

midweek madness - shock of pleasure

By this point in our relationship, I'm sure you've noticed my musical restlessness and complete inability to focus on any one genre at a particular point in time. Just ignore the whiplash - it should go away on its own in a few months (or, barring that, chiropractors are marvelous people - at least the ones I've met).

This Wednesday, I'd like to slow things down a bit. It's been a hectic week thus far, not to mention a crazy morning (kidnapping and bank robbery? in southern Maryland? seriously, guys) so it's only appropriate that I should post something with a little more chill.

Meet Shock of Pleasure, a downtempo electronica outfit hailing from Dallas. They have a style that makes you wonder if Perfume Tree and Thievery Corporation actually went back in time to create a psychedelic lovechild from the ether of their sounds. Which isn't to say that Shock of Pleasure's talent lies in mimicry; their music simply blends the finer aspects of trance and rhythm in order to put forward a most lovely mark for themselves on the world of electronic music.

Shock of Pleasure - "Spacetime" (mp3|5.92MB)

If the rest of the album (It's About Time) is like this - and yes, I feel like a horrible person because I haven't actually had the time to listen to it, which is sort of ironic in a pathetic sort of way - then I think they've subjected themselves to acquiring another wistful fangirl with a propensity for tripping while entirely sober.

No comments: