12 September 2008

friday five - 12.09.08 - space

A quick one tonight, because I'm almost out of time.

AeroVox - "Shining Star" (mp3|4.71MB) - I found AeroVox while surfing cnet's amazing music catalogue. I've discovered more stuff over there clicking on random artists than I would have imagined possible. (That is, before I entered a period in my life when I had far too much time on my hands. I will say one thing about unemployment: it definitely takes up space on your hard drive.) "Shining Star" is what Explosions in the Sky would write if they ever took their coffee black in the morning. Rich, great harmonies, and a little of that animated guitar lovin'.

David Bowie - "Life on Mars?" (mp3|5.31MB) - "Space Oddity," "Life on Mars?," "The Prettiest Star," and so many others. I could have composed this installment entirely of David Bowie songs. It wouldn't have been too bad, either (minus a few too many instances of Labyrinth deja-vu and a strange, unanticipated attraction to dudes rockin' the guyliner). God, I miss music like this.

Deerhoof - "The Galaxist" (mp4|2.48MB) - I love how Deerhoof manages to cram a million little musical moods into a single song. "I'm ethereal like Joanna Newsom! Let's roll around in the leaves! Whoop, changed my mind. I'd rather flail out on happy-hardcore. Dude, it's a PONY! Let's RIDE IT!" And it somehow manages to be artsy and catchy at the same time.

The Prodigy - "Out of Space" (mp3|6.82MB) - The title really says it all. Cracked out electro-reggae-rap. If I say any more, I'll spoil it. The Prodigy is superior indeed.

Steve Burns - "Superstrings" (mp3|6.23MB) - While not technically space, I figured theoretical physics was close enough. (Seriously. Why can't I stop referring to Steve Burns as "the Blue's Clues guy"? I mean, it has to be perpetually annoying. I maintain that it totally isn't my fault, despite being a cute kids' show with horrifying animate furniture and utensils. I have two younger brothers. They will pay for skewing my perspective on incredibly awesome electronic rock with flashbacks of my unfounded guilt for using paprika.


As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered. See you next week!

No comments: