12 April 2009

the sunday superlative - 4/12/09

This Week: EASTER RAVE



Do I seriously need to introduce this? IT'S EASTER. IT'S A JOYOUS CELEBRATION. THIS CALLS FOR SOME SERIOUS ELECTRONICA.

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - "We Are Rockstars" (mp3|5.30MB)
Erase from your memory the recent usage of parts of this song in the horrible-looking Fast and Furious trailers and just focus, if you will, on how remarkably well constructed it is: it's roughly 2/3 aggro-electro breakdown and 1/3 unexpected (and therefore highly effective) melodic, vocals-laden change-up. The result is a pounding dance song with a heart of solid gold to which I can safely respond that, no, it does not offend me one bit.
(from the 2008 album You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into)

Justice - "D.A.N.C.E." (mp3|5.34MB)
Oh, right. Like I was going to post that picture and then not include this song. I remember when this song came out. I bet you do too. However, I don't think either of us could have fully predicted the extent to which this would become an instant classic. But there you go. The Zeitgeist is as unpredictable as it is powerful, and its impact has rendered this little gem ubiquitous at pretty much every dance party since; hence, its presence here. That, and the fact that I kind of like it a lot.
(from the 2007 album )

MSTRKRFT - "Bounce" [feat. N.O.R.E. & Isis] (mp3|6.87MB)
Somewhere during MSTRKRFT's mind-altering DJ set (no, really; at an undetermined point during four solid hours of continuous, loud-as-fuck dance music, your brain just kind of naturally drifts into a surreal other world), they played this. Trust me: there is nothing more effective than bearing witness to a couple hundred twentysomethings (yourself included) bouncin' low, bouncin' high to gleefully hedonistic lyrics like "All I do is party -- ha! ha! ha! ha!" in convincing you that you have discovered the ultimate party anthem of 2009.
(from the 2009 album Fist of God)

Pure Reason Revolution - "Deus Ex Machina" (mp3|9.91MB)
I can admit with some ease that this is my favorite song (thus far, at least) of the still-young, but already incredibly fine year at hand. I've heard some amazing stuff, but nothing even comes close to touching this. What Pure Reason Revolution have provided here is a music geek's paradise: a relentless, endlessly energetic and inventive industrial/prog-metal hybrid with tremendous, literary lyrics (unless references to Ezekiel's vision from the cherubim are commonplace and I've just been missing them) and a scrupulous attention to listenability and musicality. While its grind is certainly militant, the amount of thought put into the melodies, vocal harmonies, and structure is so unmistakably steeped in precision and meticulousness that it's clear these guys aren't just trying to rock out. They want to make you think and conjure a little emotion, too. It's an amazing achievement.
(from the 2009 album Amor Vincit Omnia)

Vitalic - "Newman" (mp3|6.65MB)
I confess my guilt in driving down Albuquerque surface roads at more than twice the legal speed limit while listening to this song. My faithful Denny's-hopping co-DJ can back me up on this; she was there. But how could you not? The entirety of OK Cowboy pulses with such a forceful intensity that maximum speed is less an option than a requirement. To that degree, "Newman" is a standout among standouts. It rocks hard, it rocks fast, and it's one of the best songs of its kind I can think of.
(from the 2005 album OK Cowboy)

Marshmallow peeps and jelly beans have been courteously provided on the side tables. Enjoy, party hearty, and I'll catch you folks in another seven days!

As before, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Sunday Superlative to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

No comments: