10 April 2009

friday five - 10.04.09 - spotlight on classical

Q. Classical? Are you serious?

A. Yes.

I'll be the first to admit that my life is pretty much consumed by rock music, and this blog is proof. However, there are some beautiful gems in other genres - some of which I've touched upon, and some of which remain eluded by my "educated" selection.

As you may have noticed, I love instrumental music. The human voice is a magnificent instrument, yes - but there's also something strangely fascinating and addicting about detecting the humanity expressed through an inanimate object (say, a violin).

This is where modern classical music steps in - it typically exudes the aura of experiencing today's technological advancements and societal nuances while still maintaining a standard within its genre. Granted, a lot of modern classical is best described as "avant-garde" with heavy leanings toward expressionism and atonality (seriously, I want to slap whoever invented the microtone), but there are still some pieces that truly stand out among their peers.

Here are a few.



Fifths of Seven - "Bless Our Wandering Dreamers" (mp3|10.59MB): Eloquently described by my friend Amber as what Sunset Rubdown would sound like if it got really, really drunk, and by Chris as "old sad bastard music,"1 the best thing I can really do is agree. It's great. It also stands as a reminder to everyone that Spencer Krug is an insanely versatile human being (oh - did I say human being? I meant "god") and can do no wrong. This one's perfect for a windy day; then again, I say that about any song that includes a mournful mandolin. Whenever, of course, I have the opportunity to talk about songs including mournful mandolins. I'm going to pretend that happens a lot more than it really does.
(from the 2005 album Spry from Bitter Anise Folds)

Hauschka - "Freibad" (mp3|6.41MB): Have you ever been assigned a particularly tedious task (e.g. data entry, proofreading, hiding bodies) and felt a distinct need for music that'll get you through to the end? This is one of those songs. While fluid and emotional, it's also got a mechanised "assembly line" feel to it - and I'm sure it syncs to your brainwaves in some way, because tedium doesn't seem so bad when you're listening to it.
(from the delightfully bipolar 2008 album Freidorf)

Kayhan Kalhor - "Beloved, do not let me be discouraged" (mp3|12.47MB): If Chris can throw a gratuitous GSY!BE track onto this thing, then I'm going to hit you with a whopper instrumental so the universe will be in balance again and the aliens will finally get out of my yard and stop procreating with the gnomes. I'm not sure whether this would be classified as world music due to its Oriental roots, or classical because of its techniques. Either way, this piece explores so many expositions on a single theme that it feels like it has a soul - combined with the quiet virtuosity it exhibits, I feel that a more appropriate title could not have been chosen.
(from the 2008 album Silent City)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Requiem (The Fifth) (mp3|2.70MB): Before you say anything, I just want to make a point: Trans-Siberian Orchestra does NOT only exist on Christmas. This song is from, in my opinion, one of the best album musicals (rock operas? I don't even know what you would call it) I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. It basically follows the life of Beethoven as he bargains with Mephistopheles over a symphony right before he dies. Let's face it: that's awesomesauce. "Requiem (The Fifth)" is an amazing montage of Beethoven's most famous works, all arranged to be hardcore and rockin'. Please buy and listen to the entire album - if you don't, you will die incomplete. I'm just sayin'.
(from the 2000 album Beethoven's Last Night)

Victoire - "A Door into the Dark" (mp3|8.52MB): I'm not exactly one to make immediate comparisons to movie soundtracks when listening to a classical piece, but my God if that isn't what this sounds like. The tonality, the style, everything fits into the mood of descending a staircase and approaching a mysterious door - one which, when opened, reveals a place where light neither enters or escapes. Both dreams and nightmares exist here, and you can hear everything.
(from the 2009 album A Door into the Dark)

(Wait for it ...)

And now, a little extra something - only because I felt like I couldn't post this without including some serious classical fanservice. Here are three of the most awesome pieces ever written by anyone. Enjoy.

Ludwig Van Beethoven - "Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique) - III, Rondo Allegro" (mp3|6.21MB): Mr. Beethoven holds a special place in my heart. No, really. I mean it. He is the poster child for my obsessive-compulsive music-related insanity. Why? Because I have a mad, mad crush on him. I have retroactively stalked him for years. For those of you out of the loop: he's dead. (In case you haven't noticed, I'm creepy. The final movement of his eighth piano sonata, however, is proof that Beethoven probably wouldn't have minded.)

Jean Sibelius - "Finlandia, Op. 26" (mp3|13.12MB): This has been my favourite classical piece since forever. I think the love began because the opening bars remind me of Batman, but it's developed into something much, much more. I can't even explain why it renders me completely useless, but I feel like I can emote to every freaking measure. Give it a listen - you'll see.

Mahler - "Symphony No. 5 in C-sharp minor (Death in Venice) - Adagietto (mp3|14.84MB): I've said it before, and I will say it until I die: Mahler is fucking METAL. And I think that's all the persuasion you need.


That about wraps it up! Chris's got you covered for Sunday, and I'm outta here. Have a great weekend, and happy Easter in advance!


1 High Fidelity ref ahoy! (The chorus swells! My job is so difficult. But at least I get to use a footnote.)


As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Actually, I think it was Chris who called Fifths of Seven "old sad bastard music," not me. I make this correction only because I'm weirdly uncomfortable taking credit for other people's words. Also because what I said was that Fifths of Seven would sound exactly like Sunset Rubdown if it got really, really drunk. Which is definitely the stupider of the two comments.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Even so, the "old sad bastard music" thing is stolen from Jack Black in High Fidelity (a must-see film for music geeks), so I can't take credit either. Except he was talking about Belle and Sebastian. Still, Krug could take Murdoch any day. I'm convinced.

Lea Michelle said...

Man, you guys are cah-razy!

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.