12 December 2008

friday five - 12-12-08 - piano highlights: soft and lovely

First off, it may be absolutely no surprise to you to learn that your weekly Friday Five audio consultant is no more than a dorky twenty-something college student with a full-time day job, an unhealthy love for Spencer Krug, an unhealthy disdain for prime numbers, and glasses. You may have also already assumed that most of my updates are conducted in a uniform I like to call "nighttime casual" - or, more commonly, my pyjamas.

There are two problems with the last statement. The first is the fact that I've publicly admitted my complete lack of decency. The second is that, given my state of dress is nighttime casual, I'm likely not at work (unless I feel the distinct desire to thoroughly irritate my boss). This means that if you are in the United States and work a typical eight-to-five like Yours Truly, you are probably not at work either. Being as I originally intended the Friday Five to be downloaded during the work day to ease the anticipation of leaving for the start of the grind-free weekend, posting songs after work seems to be a little counterproductive to the effort.

So, in an epic move to save face (and keep my job - see, everybody wins), the purpose of this blog is going to take a different direction. I'm still going to post five songs per week on Friday, but it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to post these songs in the evening for you to download when you get home. I'll say that it's intended to help you unwind after your workday, granted you're like me and don't actually have a social life to attend on Friday night.

ON THAT NOTE (and watch as I make this deft and smooth transition to something that's actually relevant to your interests), a musical element that's always helped me to unwind is the soft strains of a good piano. I adore the sound of the piano, especially when it's used to create quiet, flowing melodies. Mostly, though, I just love the instrument to pieces.

That's why this week's theme is one of a series: Piano Highlights. I've decided that I'm going to pepper the blog a bit with instrument highlights, and it seems natural that I should choose one of my favourites to go first. So, without further delay, I present:



Jens Lekman - Sky Phenomenon (MP3|5.58MB): This has to be one of the most wistful songs written by Swedish musical genius and beautifully insane Jens Lekman. (This is, of course, excluding such songs as "F-Word," which can be very wistful, especially if you're forbidden to swear.) The piano in this is simple and cyclic, like twinkling tones of a set of bells. Instant love. And, of course, there's this beautiful simile: it's like someone spilled a beer all over the atmosphere. Come on. If that imagery doesn't get you where it counts, then you're a robot.

Markéta Irglová - The Hill (MP3|4.25MB): I loved this movie so much. I cried so hard because I'm such a girl. Once was actually introduced to me by my co-DJ, Chris, and I will never forgive him for it for the following reasons: a) it made me cry, dammit, that needed to be said again; b) it made me insanely jealous of Markéta Irglová for having such mad piano skillz and the romantic attention of an Irishman, and c) I will probably watch it every month or so until the day I die. Anyway, this song is beautiful and sad - beautifully sad, sadly beautiful, whichever - and is the perfect song to hear while it's raining a little, but not quite pouring.

Phoenix and the Turtle - Pianos (MP3|5.31MB): Another cNet treasure. It starts off more insistent than a lot of soft piano pieces, and a little more awkward, but it resolves into a cacophony of octaves and scales that transform into what I would classify as trance if any of it sounded like electronica. (Which it doesn't.) I understand that Phoenix and the Turtle have a completely different sound now, but it's this song which completely stole my heart. (Never mind that the piano cuts out about halfway and the melody's taken up by other instruments. It's the start that counts.)

Regina Spektor - The Flowers (MP3|3.59MB): First of all, if there's any chick alive and active that can totally and utterly rock the piano, it's Regina Spektor. I was introduced to her music by one of the many messageboards I frequent, and just the way her voice melds with the way she plays - it's perfect. This song is hard to classify; it's urgent and soft at the same time - still, I'd be able to relax to it, so that's why it's here.

White Hinterland - Calliope (MP3|4.42MB): Piano-driven from start to finish, this beautiful track from their 2008 release Phylactery Factory (the subject of which what has a variety of interpretations and uses) is the main reason I love White Hinterland at all. Not that their association with the Dirty Projectors or the fact that my best friend recommended them to me held ANY weight whatsoever. Anyway. Calliope listens to everything. Right?

And t-t-t-that's all, folks! I'll catch you all next week for another Friday Five. Be good, and don't do anything I wouldn't do. (Notice how I'm narrowing your options down OH so much.)


As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

No comments: