05 December 2008

friday five - 05.12.08 - she blinded me with science

This is going to be the shortest and most skeletal FFR post yet, excepting those dark and ominous Fridays wherein no posts were made. Not that I have a deep and crippling guilt about last week or anything. (In my defence, I was actually playing in a rock band - so it was sort of like I was giving music to people, only it was location-specific. Non-Marylanders, I promise never to betray you again.)

Now, however, it seems I've picked up the stomach flu from one of my coworkers. One thing after another, huh? Yeah, well, this blog doesn't write itself, although in the past few weeks it kinda has from my perspective (a very warm and appreciative thank-you goes out to my co-DJ, Chris, who was kind enough to pass up the opportunity to use his temporary blog-dictatorship to mock me relentlessly as I was nearly devoured by a papier-mache tentacled space monster every weekend, and who was also patient and resourceful enough to take on the Friday Five as well as his Sunday Superlative during my respite, and who also remains friends with me despite my tendency to create horrific and entirely preventable run-on sentences).

But I digress, and amazingly so!

Anyway, summaries are going to be short and sweet. Mainly, it's a download-and-enjoy sort of thing. I'm trying to remain horizontal as long and often as humanly possible, and sitting at the computer desk isn't exactly conducive to this effort. But! As always, I shall strive for a better entry next time.



DJ/rupture - Second-Hand Science: We(tm) (MP3|4.21MB): This is another classic example of me absolutely caving to the man, baa-ing on command, and having no regrets whatsoever afterward (unlike the morning after that last shot of tequila). Ganked shamelessly from Uproot - in my opinion, one of 2008's best electronic albums - "Second-Hand Science: We(tm)" is a blissful cacophony of dark, echoing synth and cave droning. Seriously, DJ/rupture and Perfume Tree should get married. No, I don't care if that isn't technically possible.

Les Rsidus Plasmiques - Donne Tes Corpse Les Science (MP3|4.38MB): Some of the most addictive songs I find are free. No, I don't mean free in the "well, it's on the internet, so no one will find out that I didn't pay for it" sort of way. I mean absolutely free, no strings attached, on cNet. This is another awesome song I discovered through one of my random clicking exploits; even though they sing in French, which I can't understand at all, they've had me rockin' for a good couple of years. (Artist information and site not found. If you are this artist, please feel free to submit your information.)

So Many Dynamos - This Can Be Useful in Rocketry (MP3|3.69MB): Not to steal the concept or thunder of this movement's leader, Amber, but I consider myself something of a Dynamovangelist (a self-appointed Bishop, I suppose). I could say so many things about this band, but none of them would adequately deliver a description of their collective Awesome. If you like the Dismemberment Plan, you'll like Dynamos. If you like Chris Walla's production work, you'll like Dynamos. If you have a beating heart, you will at least appreciate the nature of the Dynamos. This is one of their highlight tracks, if I may be so bold.

Modest Mouse - We've Got Everything (MP3|5.44MB): Okay, I admit that I just chose this one because it has "science" in the lyrics. Not necessarily describing a particular science, but comparing everything to a science, insomuch as everything can be quantified and utilised in a form not unlike actual science. If you read the previous statement, I am so sorry. Delirium loves company. Especially when Modest Mouse is involved. And yes, I saw that guitar for sale. Thanks for freakin' asking.

Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science (live) (MP3|6.24MB): Of course, I had to throw this Thomas Dolby classic in here. The post would be empty without it. God, I love the 80s. (NOTE: I didn't go the Oingo Boingo route! You thought I would, but I didn't! Ha! I sure showed you!)

Anyway, back to bed for me. Why is Pepto-Bismol pink? Universe, you are so weird.


As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

No comments: