21 November 2008

friday five - 21.11.08 - it's all a myth

Whether we realize it or not, ours is a culture founded on mythology. Or, I suppose more to the point, ours is a culture founded on a culture which founded itself on mythology. Following? Good. There will be an exam at the end. This foundation has led to a near-ubiquitous supply of mythological nods in popular culture, from motifs in literature to homages in film and references in music. Here, of course, we're concerned with that third and final medium. This week I've gone ahead and pulled out five songs of various musical styles and mythological origins (two Norse, one Roman, one Biblical, and one that -- from what I can tell -- is about staying home and watching movies), just for your listening pleasure.

Some I Didn't Include: "Wrapped Around Your Finger" by The Police, because Sting blatantly mispronounces one of the mythological creatures' names and I'd like to pretend I'm sophisticated enough to care; "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac, because I figure everyone's heard it (so I included Led Zeppelin instead); "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen, because it might be about mythology but I can't be too sure.

Oy-oh, let's go!



!!! - "Myth Takes" (mp3|3.29MB)
Yeah, I have no idea if this has anything to do with mythology. Probably not. I don't care. !!!'s most recent title track is just the kind of short, impossibly infectious song that I can't help but fall hard for (it's that spaghetti-western guitar riff. It has to be). It's so boogietastic that even those with the most stringent inhibitions would probably have to fight the urge to get up out of their chairs and shake a little booty. I only wish it was a little longer. Like, I really wouldn't mind a 20-minute extended groove version of "Myth Takes." Oh well. I guess I'll just have to play this ten times back-to-back. Not that I've ever done that or anything. *shifty eyes*

Jethro Tull - "Cold Wind to Valhalla" (mp3|5.95MB)
Jethro Tull is a band that has been through the whole spectrum. They were popular, they were completely underground. They were great, they were amazing in their suckitude. Without exception, the really popular stuff was great. The extremely recognizable "Locomotive Breath" is a classic for a reason. The underground portion of their output, however, is wildly varied in quality: some of it rocks, some of it ... really doesn't. One of the best (read: only good) songs from 1975's Minstrel in the Gallery is "Cold Wind to Valhalla." What starts off as a chilly acoustic ballad quickly becomes a full-fledged electric rocker, underpinned by Ian Anderson's always passionate vocal delivery and his signature flute-blowing (which contrasts the acoustic guitar very well, actually). Maybe it's not one of Tull's career-best efforts, but it's a decent song that slipped through the cracks. That alone makes it worth checking out.

Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song" (mp3|2.19MB)
I've gotten flack for this before and I'm sure I will get flack for it again, but Led Zeppelin is probably among the five or so most overrated bands in rock history. I won't argue that they were good, and on a couple occasions even great ("Stairway," anyone? "Whole Lotta Love"?), but calling them one of the best rock acts ever is so hyperbolic it's almost amusing. But I won't even begin to deny that "Immigrant Song" is really awesome. Steeped in Norse mythology (as lots of Zep was), this is a veritable Viking war cry: pumped up, energetic, and rockin'. And while I usually find Robert Plant irritating, I've got to admit that "aaaaAAAAAAaaa-AH!" gets my blood pulsing every time. Also: the Viking kittens, 'nuff said.

Shearwater - "Leviathan, Bound" (mp3|3.95MB)
If nothing else, Shearwater's tremendous "Leviathan, Bound" will go down as one of 2008's finest vocal performances. It turns out that Jonathan Meiburg, ex-not-singer for Okkervil River, has one of the best sets of pipes in all of indie-rock. His melodramatic Scott Walker-meets-Morrissey croon can take any song and instantly make it sound three or four times bigger, lending it an epic quality both surprising and refreshing. "Leviathan, Bound" is so huge-sounding that it's hard to imagine it only takes up 2:52. With its keen sense of melody and dynamic, it's not hard to wish it wasn't all over so soon, but the punch it packs is something to behold.

The Shocking Blue - "Venus" (mp3|2.86MB)
They couldn't speak English. The Shocking Blue, that is. They were Dutch, you see, and none of them ever formally learned this language. So what you're hearing is actually a really good phonetic pronunciation. It didn't hinder the song any. Perhaps more famously covered by Bananarama in the 80s, the original 1969 track remains the one to beat in my book. It's certainly stood the test of time. There's no arguing it's just as memorable 40 years later as it must have been then. Overflowing with hooks and upbeat vibes, it's just a great pop song. And when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing, I daresay "Venus" suits me just fine.

And we have reached the end of yet another edition of Friday Five Radio. And here's some great news for those of you who can't stand me: my stint as substitute is over. Barring any unforeseen future complications, Lea will be back at the helm a week from today with more great music and less dumb jokes (maybe). As for me, I'll catch you guys back at my regular position as Sunday DJ. 'Til then!

As always, send lovemail/hatemail/anymail related to the Friday Five to fridayfiveradio@gmail.com. Requests are always considered and welcomed. See you next week!

No comments: